Friday, July 08, 2011

July 8 - International Eat Something New Day



Chris Knight: Here Mitch, taste this. Too sweet?
Mitch Taylor: No... what is it?
Chris Knight: I don't know, I found it in one of the labs.
Mitch Taylor: Blech! Gah!
Chris Knight: I'm just kidding. It's only yogurt.

--Real Genius (1984)

Okay, so yogurt isn't exactly exotic by any stretch of the imagination. But, then again, many people will not allow themselves the opportunity to try new things. People have their favorite meals and snacks and, very often, they never deviate.

The purpose of International Eat Something New Day is to help all of you culinary stalwarts break out of your shell.

If there is something on a menu in a favorite restaurant that you've been afraid to try... TRY IT!


If you've found a restaurant in your area that has intrigued you but you've never "had the time" to eat at... BOOK YOUR RESERVATION NOW!

If you tore a recipe out of a magazine but have yet to actually pick up the ingredients and cook it... GET TO YOUR LOCAL GROCER!

I'm not talking about setting yourself with a platter of food that would make the former producers of Fear Factor cringe, just a minor deviation from your normal internal menu. Who knows, at best, you may find a new favorite dish... at worst, well, I'm not gonna touch that one.

3 comments:

Schrodinger's Kitten said...

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"

Tracy Lynn said...

MORAL IMPERATIVE!

Hyperion said...

I didn't eat anything new that I know of (not feeling well enough to venture out into the world), but I did come up with a new way to eat skittles. Does that count?

I put several between my gum and upper lip, like I would for sunflower seeds. I help them there a minute or two, just enjoying slow I.V. drip of Skittle on my taste buds.

Then, when I finally pulled a Skittle down to my tonuge, it was a totally new sensation. The Skittle's once-forbidding exoskeleton was malleable, and in some cases I was able to crush the Skittle and scoop out the goo inside with no more than my tongue! (Although, as more than one can attest, I DO have a powerful tongue, but that's neither here nor there.)

Also worth mentioning: My current favorite person in the world sent me (among other things) packages of four different types of Skittles: Regular, Fruit & Creamy, Tropical Fruits and Wild Berry. I mixed them all together for my experiment.

Anyway, that's my story.